Friday, December 13, 2013

Tilapia Fish Tacos with Jalepeno Slaw - A quick 90/10 Nutrition Idea

These 90/10 fish tacos took about 20 minutes to make from scratch and were as good as the 'original street taco' recipe we get from the local authentic Mexican taco stand on the NorthSide.  They were so good, even my boyfriend enjoyed them!

Tilapia Fish Tacos with Jalepeno-Lime Slaw


Slaw:
1/3 Head of Green cabbage, shredded
1 lime, juiced
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 medium Jalepeno, diced
6 scallions, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Fish: 
2 tilapia fillets, sautéed in olive oil, salt & pepper to taste

Wraps:
Choice of corn tortilla or rice paper wrap (highly recommended!)  

Directions:
I started with about 1/3 head of green cabbage and use this $20 mandoline/veggie slicer to make quick work of shredded cabbage.   Next I took a medium sized jalepeno, sliced it in half and scraped out the seeds.   I chopped it into small bits and tossed it into the cabbage. I rinsed off about 6 scallions, cut the roots off and sliced the whites, then added a small handful of fresh cilantro.  I used a nice heavy duty lemon/lime juicer to squeeze in the juice of a full lime, then added salt & pepper to taste. 

Next I sautéed 2 tilapia filets in a small amount of olive oil with salt, pepper and lemon juice until white all the way through and just browned on the top & bottom.  I separated the fish into flaky chunks then added a few tablespoons of fish on top of a corn tortilla as well as  rice paper wrap, and added the jalepeno-lime saw on top.   

This recipe was enough to make six small hand-tacos, and the rice paper fish tacos traveled really well to work in a tupperware container.  

Let me know how yours turn out!

\

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Wish I had some now.

Doc Shazam said...

Thanks anonymous! they are easy to make !!